Today we’re devoting an entire episode to the Portland Mercado, a unique Latino public market at 72nd and Foster in Southeast Portland. That’s just a mile up the street from our studios here at Portland Radio Project, in a 7,000-square-foot space on the site of an old car lot. Now the building is painted in bright colors, with a variety of retail businesses inside and a row of food carts outside featuring cuisine from all across Latin America.
The Mercado is a project of Hacienda CDC, which is probably best known for its housing and youth programs, and it isn’t just a market — it’s a business incubator supporting over three dozen small start-up businesses. On today’s show, we’ll be talking about the past, present and future of the Mercado.
This week’s Biz503 hosts:
This week’s guests:
- Shea Flaherty Betin, Director of Portland Mercado
- Chris Bailey, Microenterprise Developer at Hacienda CDC
Listen to Biz503 Fridays, 1:00 pm. at 99.1 FM in the heart of Portland, or stream from anywhere worldwide at PRP.fm. If you miss the broadcast, you can listen to the podcast here on the Monday following the broadcast.
Thanks to Premium Websites for supporting Biz503!
Please check out our growing hive of podcasts here.
- Biz503 Season 3 Episode 10: OR Winter Sports Industry - January 8, 2018
- Biz503 Season 3 Episode 7: Empowering Women in Tech - December 1, 2017
- Biz503 Season 3 Episode 6: The Portland Mercado, A Year and a Half In - November 17, 2017