~ Thanks to Nicoletta & Beppe’s, located in the heart of Portland’s Pearl District, for bringing us Sound Tasting! ~
Are you on the lookout for an authentic Spanish dish that could be served at any meal of the day? With a completely non-complex list of ingredients to boot?
Well look no further, and join host Marti Mendenhall in the kitchen with local indie folk rock singer-songwriter, Christie Josef for Sound Tasting Episode 6. In this episode, the ladies cook up Tortilla de Patata, a form of Spanish omelette, which is a recipe that has been handed down through generations within Christie’s family.
Tune in to hear the story behind the recipe, and also for a live performance of Christie’s song “The Genius of the Darkness,” off of her 2014 album, Spark a Ripple.
Christie Josef, local singer-songwriter.
From Behind The Microphone
8 medium potatoes peeled
1. Thinly and evenly slice potatoes (1/8 to1/4 inch).
2. Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick or well-seasoned frying pan
3. Add sliced potatoes and fry until all potatoes are cooked and at least 1/4th have
4. While potatoes are frying, lightly beat eggs in a large mixing bowl.
5. Add cooked potatoes to eggs and stir to blend well.
6. Add garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper to taste then stir to
7. Reheat frying pan with 2 Tablespoon of oil.
8. Add potato mixture and smooth the top until mixture lays evenly.
9. Cook on medium/low until mixture is solid – 20 to 30 minutes.
10. Remove the pan from the heat and place a large plate on top (plate should
11. Slide the tortilla back into the pan (add more oil if necessary) and cook the
12. Invert onto plate again and let rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Christie’s playlist for cooking
- Alexa Wiley – Blue Paint
- Kris Delane – Corroded Angels
- Modest Mouse – Ocean Breathes Salty
- Portugal The Man – Live In The Moment
- Decemberists – June Hymn
- The Shins – Australia
- Dandy Warhols – Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth
- Broken Bells – No Matter What You’re Told
- Ed and The Boats – Summer
Singer/Songwriter Christie Josef left San Francisco where she headed her rock band, Temper Temper, to raise her children in Portland, Oregon and embarked upon her solo music path. In 2013, with 12 songs at hand, Josef set out to find that special producer who would resonate with her message, understand her intention, and wanted to help manifest her musical vision. With the invaluable help of Lisa Lepine (PROmotion Queen – RIP) she made the life-altering connection with Grammy-nominated producer, John Neff (David Lynch, BlueBob, Steely Dan, Journey).
The result was Spark A Ripple, an album of potent songs populated by some of Portland’s best musicians. Josef put
together a band for the CD release show and Christie Josef & The Purpose was born. Two years later the band created The Sum Of Us Is One, a solid 11-song album full of strong melodies with story-driven lyrics. Fall 2017 saw the release of the band’s 3rd CD, Understanding, a true band collaboration filled with passionate, catchy tunes and relevant ideas offering perspectives of hope and love-based solutions for these intense times.
Christie Josef & The Purpose
Christie Josef & The Purpose are an Indie Folk Rock band of stellar Portland musicians that include John Neff (Steppenwolf, Willie Nelson, Hoyt Axton) on bass, Bret Malmquist (Jesus Presley, Alexa Wiley and The Wilderness, Mad Hattie) on lead guitar, Chuck Heinrich on drums, and 2D Strapporo (Zingari, Doorway Duets) on
vocals. Josef’s arena rock vocals are often compared to Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders, Ann Wilson of Heart, Patti Smith, and Grace Slick. Her authentic passion to help our world through the magical, healing power of music is manifest in each performance. The band loves to play live, creating compelling, interactive shows. They have performed at many Portland venues including Alberta Rose Theatre, Bossanova Ballroom, Alberta Street Pub, Atlantis Lounge/Mississippi Pizza Pub, The White Eagle, The Clinton Street Theater, House Concerts, Portland Farmer’s Market, and the Wine Country Eclipse Festival. You can hear them on Portland Notes Radio, and Portland Radio Project. Look out for their songs in 2 indie movies, Spreading Darkness and When We Grow Up.
Marti Mendenhall, Jazz Singer, Food Enthusiast
You can follow Sound Tasting on Social Media:
Join us Friday, March 9th at 2 p.m. for Sound Tasting: Episode 6, featuring Christie Josef. Listen live at 99.1 FM in the heart of Portland – or online anywhere at PRP.fm.
This week on Sound Tasting, listen to the live show for a chance to text-to-win! The prizes include all three of Christie Josef’s albums, some custom-made “Christie Josef & The Purpose” buttons, and some chapstick hand-crafted by Christie herself. All prizes will be mailed to the winner.
Latest posts by Jenna Deml (see all)
- Wine Crush Season 2, Episode 13 - December 6, 2019
- Wine Crush Season 2, Episode 12 - November 19, 2019
- Portland’5 – Historical Happenings & Ghostly Encounters - October 23, 2019